To enhance the ability of the Combat Training Centers (CTCs) to provide effective training feedback to rotation units conducting force-on-force, live fire and combined arms training by allowing the collection of engagement data for analysis and After Action Review (AAR) production.
Combat Training Center-Instrumentation System (CTC-IS) is an information technology based communications, analysis and feedback system at the Maneuver Combat Training Centers (MCTCs) that provides a realistic operational environment for training the brigade combat team and below in preparation for deployment to conduct Decisive Actions. It is comprised of voice, video and data instrumentation subsystem networks that include software, hardware, work stations, base-station equipment, communications infrastructure, voice radios, data devices and interfaces. CTC-IS is scalable to collect, report, store, manage, process and display event data for 10,000 instrumented players and 100,000 constructive entities. The Instrumentation System (IS) provides the Combat Trainers (CT) critical situational awareness for training safety, analysis and feedback capabilities to conduct AAR.
CTC-IS is a key part of the Live Training Transformation–Family of Training Systems (LT2-FTS) and is based on the Common Training Instrumentation Architecture (CTIA). It leverages advanced technology in a modular and component-based manner and provides the foundation for common components across the live training product line. Common components such as exercise planning, exercise preparation, exercise control, AAR preparation and presentation, in concert with CTIA services, processes, rules and standards, support the full spectrum of training. CTC-IS is interoperable with other external systems through Distributed Interactive Simulation, High Level Architecture or Test and Training Enabling Architecture protocols. The CTC-IS program also gives the Joint Multinational Training Center a mobile instrumentation system that provides a movable training capability to support Army Force Generation and Unified Land Operations.
With Other Products Listed in this Publication
- Instrumentation System (IS) Dependencies
- Core Instrumentation System (CIS): Generates data for and receives data from the Range Communication System (RCS) data link
- IS Cross Domain Solution (CDS): Provides data filtering for movement of data across the classified/unclassified boundary of the IS
- Tactical Engagement Simulation System (TESS): Generates data for and receives data from the RCS data link
- Live Fire – Command and control targets over the RCS
Other Major Interdependencies
- AT&T commercial cellular network: Provides processing of data for transmission over the RCS network