To provide objective scoring for aviation gunnery crew qualification and training.
AWSS is an objective scoring system that supports live Army aviation gunnery training. AWSS provides scoring for 2.75-inch training rockets, both point detonation and multipurpose submunitions. AWSS provides area scoring and hit location for a variety of machine gun weapons and laser scoring of the Hellfire training missile.
Four systems are provided for U.S. training exercises and are deployed as needed to support home station training events. A fifth system is stationed in Grafenwoehr, Germany, and supports training in Germany and other European countries. A sixth system is stationed in Korea and supports Pacific theater training events. An annual scheduling conference, held in conjunction with the Aviation Master Gunner’s Conference, prepares a baseline schedule for the deployment of the U.S. systems for the following fiscal year.
- 1Q FY15: Supported a record 43 gunnery events
- 2Q FY15: Digital Air Ground Integrated Range (DAGIR) at Fort Bliss, TX
- 2Q FY15: AWSS and AWSS-Unit Gunner Report Generator (UGRG) received Stand-alon
- Field Radar Rocket Scoring (RRS) at Fort Bliss, TX
- Begin development of Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) scoring capability
- Complete updates to unit gunnery report
Foreign Military Sales